I found this beautiful recipe from Piggy’s cooking journal; I was so tempted to try this recipe as I always have a thing with citrus. The chicken turned out great, love the sauce, very flavorful. I have substituted the chicken drumsticks and thighs with chicken breast. Pardon me for the ugly picture; I am working on my photography skills.
3 pieces of chicken drumsticks and 3 pieces of thighs
12 shallots, peeled
3cm ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, peeled
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbs oil
1 tbs shaoxing wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbs brown sugar
Cornstarch solution (2 tbs water + 1/2 tsp cornstarch)
Salt, to taste
2 tsp light soy sauce
2 tsp shaoxing wine
1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
1) Marinate the chicken pieces with the marinade for at least 15 minutes.
2) Heat up oil in a wok. Saute shallots, garlic and ginger slices for a while, remove from wok and set aside.
3) Place chicken pieces in the wok and fried until the surface of chicken turn golden brown. Pour shaoxing wine around the side of the wok.
4) Pour shallots, garlic and ginger slices back to the wok. Add in chicken broth and lemon juice. When it is boil, add in brown sugar and salt.
5) Cover the wok with lid, and let it cook under low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces a few times.
6) When the chicken pieces are cooked, remove from wok and place them on a plate.
7) Pour the cornstarch solution into the gravy, heat it up, then add sesame oil.
8) Pour the gravy on the chicken pieces, serve.